Thirty Marshall County 4-H Sharp Shooters members competed in the 2018 Kentucky 4-H Shooting Sports Competition on Saturday, September 8th in Wilmore and Sunday, September 9th in Berea, KY. They were joined by 1,079 4-Hers from 77 counties across Kentucky in this two-day shooting sports competition.
The 4-H Sharp Shooters brought home several awards including:
• 9-11 BB Rifle team (Brighton Newnum, Wiley English, Kaden Seaford, Niki Huffmaster) placed 1st
• 9-11 Air Pistol team (T.R. Barrett, Tanner Siegle, Kaden Vasseur, Niki Huffmaster) placed 1st
• 9-11 .22 Sport Rifle team (Wiley English, Niki Huffmaster, Kaden Vasseur, Macee Pruitt) placed 3rd
• 9-11 Air Sport Rifle team (Wiley English, Brighton Newnum, Travis Jameson, Kaden Seaford) placed 1st
• 9-11 Target Archery team (KeAnna James, Dalton Smith, Mallory Beliles, Lainee Siegle) placed 2nd
• 9-11 Division 1 Trap (25 Clays) (Ian Kidd, Brighton Newnum, Dalton Smith, Grant Smith, Travis Jameson)
• 12-14 Air Pistol Team (Cameron Thomason, Ethan Odom, Allyah Baker, Sarah Miller) placed 3rd
• 12-14 .22 Sport Rifle team (Cameron Thomason, Sarah Miller, Clint Dotson, Ethan Odom) placed 2nd
• 12-14 BB Rifle team (Zach Oden, Allyah Baker, Lindsay Baker, Clint Dotson) placed 2nd
• Wiley English: 3rd 9-11 .22 Sport Rifle and 3rd 9-11 Air Sport Rifle
• Ian Kidd: 3rd 9-11 Division 1 Trap (25 Clays)
• Caleb Miller: 2nd 15-18 BB Rifle
• Jacob Miller: 3rd 15-18 Bare Compound Bow and 2nd 15-18 Air Sport Rifle
• Zach Oden: 3rd 12-14 Division 1 Trap (50 Clays)
• Cameron Thomason: 3rd 12-14 .22 Sport Rifle and 1st 12-14 Air Sport Rifle (Green Jacket)
• Case Thomason: 3rd 15-18 Air Sport Rifle and 2nd 15-18 Air Pistol
Several Sharp Shooter members placed in the Top 10 in their respective disciplines.
Marshall County 4-H Sharp Shooters – Carter Beliles, Colby Byars, Brody Chambers, Clay Cope and Morgan Westerfield – also participated in events during the State 4-H Shoot. The 4-Hers in Archery are coached by Patrick Westerfield, Scott Chambers, Kyle Siegle and Eric Littrell. Rifle Coaches are PJ Thomason and Roger Oden. Pistol coaches are Chris Miller and Marty Barrett. Shotgun (Trap) Coaches include Lee Cope, Bart Redman, Chris Beliles, Josh Smith, Nikki Bell and Chad Driskill. Other volunteers who contribute to the club’s success include Missy Miller (County Coordinator), the 4-Hers’ parents and grandparents, and other family members.
The Marshall County 4-H Sharp Shooters are winding down their year and will start again in January 2019. The group practices at the Calvert City Gun Club. The Sharp Shooters will send notices out to the schools and newspapers when they have their first meeting of the year planned for early February. Marshall County youth between the ages of 9-18 and their parents are welcome to attend the club’s informational meeting to learn more.
To learn more about 4-H Youth Development programs, contact the Marshall County Extension Office at (270)527-3285.